Is amikacin safe for pregnant and breast-feeding women?

Amikacin is considered dangerous for a developing fetus. Studies have found that medications like amikacin can cause deafness in babies when pregnant mothers are taking it. It is not clear whether breastfeeding a baby while on amikacin is harmful to the infant, but it is not recommended.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

How effective are antibiotics?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective ...
Can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...
Do antibiotic ointments have any side effects?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Triple antibiotic agents are usually creams or ointments that contain 3 antimicrobial agents. The id...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...