What should I know about vancomycin before taking it?

Although vancomycin may be used to treat colitis, if you have ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, or inflammatory bowel disease vancomycin may not be right for you. Tell your doctor if you have any of these diseases or if you have kidney disease or a problem hearing. Vancomycin can cause hearing problems, which may be permanent. Other antibiotics, particularly amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, streptomycin and tobramycin, can interact with vancomycin, as can other medications. Before starting vancomycin, tell your doctor about all of the prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements that you are taking.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...