What should I know about trimethoprim before taking it?

Before taking trimethoprim you should be aware of some of the risks associated with this medication. Trimethoprim may cause complications if taken for a prolonged period of time. Complications may include a severe intestinal condition called pseudomembranous colitis, oral or vaginal yeast infection or other types of infections. To reduce your risk, only use trimethoprim for the length of time directed by your doctor and talk to your doctor if you develop any new symptoms of infection, diarrhea and stomach pain or cramping. People with certain medical conditions shouldn't take trimethoprim. If you're allergic to any ingredients in trimethoprim, don't take this medication. If you have anemia caused by low folate blood levels, you shouldn't take trimethoprim. Before taking trimethoprim, tell your doctor your medical history, especially if you have kidney or liver problems, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes or blood problems such as porphyria.

Trimethoprim may harm a fetus, so pregnant women should take this medication only if absolutely necessary. Trimethoprim also passes into breast milk, so if you are taking this medication talk to your doctor before breastfeeding. Some medications also may interact with trimethoprim. Tell your doctor if you're taking dofetilide, cyclosporine, phenytoin, sulfones, methotrexate, digoxin, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, angiotensin-receptor blockers (ARBs) or certain diuretics. Other medications not listed here also may interact with trimethoprim. Make sure to discuss with your doctor all of the medications and supplements that you are taking, before taking trimethoprim. If you have questions about any of the risks associated with trimethoprim, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How effective are antibiotics?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective ...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...