What should I know about tobramycin ophthalmic ointment?

Tobramycin ophthalmic ointment (Tobrex) is an antibiotic used to treat eye infections. As with all medications, before you apply tobramycin ophthalmic ointment, it is important to tell your doctor about any medical conditions that you have and about any other eye medicines or drops you are using, either prescription or over-the-counter. Tell your doctor about any allergies you have to tobramycin, other antibiotics or medicines, and any other allergies. Pregnant women should talk to their doctor before using tobramycin. It is very important to use tobramycin ophthalmic ointment for the full amount of time recommended by your doctor, even after your symptoms have improved.

It is also important that you wash your hands carefully before applying tobramycin ophthalmic ointment. Do not wear contact lenses until you have finished your treatment with this antibiotic ointment for the eye.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can antibiotics cure Lyme disease?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
Two key points about Lyme disease:Active Lyme disease can persist after antibiotic therapy.Active Ly...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...