What should I know about clindamycin phosphate before using it?

Clindamycin phosphate is dangerous if used or taken incorrectly; never ingest or overuse the topical or vaginal formulations, as it could cause antibiotic-associated colitis (a serious intestinal disorder). People who already suffer from colitis or any other intestinal problems should talk to their doctors before using clindamycin phosphate. Do not take any medications for your stomach problems while using clindamycin phosphate without first asking your doctor. Non-stomach related problems, such as asthma, eczema and hay fever may also be affected by this drug, so discuss these with your doctor as well. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should talk to their doctor about the risks of taking or using clindamycin phosphate before doing so. Parents of children under 12 years years of age should do the same.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
When should I take antibiotics?
You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...