Why might my doctor prescribe tiotropium?

Your doctor might prescribe tiotropium (Spiriva HandiHaler) if you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), in which air passages of the lungs may be swollen, making it difficult to breathe properly. COPD causes coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Tiotropium is a bronchodilator -- a type of medicine that relaxes those air passages, allowing them to open.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What are long-acting beta-agonist bronchodilators?
Long-acting beta-agonists relax and open the airways in the same way as short-acting beta agonists, ...
How effective is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium reduces the severity and duration of a runny nose. But it has no effect on other symptom...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...
How is omalizumab used to treat asthma?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune response to common airborne allergens. This reduces inf...