Why did I develop leg cramps when I first started taking Brovana?

Brovana (arformoterol) may cause leg cramps in some people because it affects the muscles in your body. Brovana is a drug prescribed for adults who have chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), a group of lung conditions, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, that can cause your airways to constrict or narrow, making it hard to breathe.

Brovana belongs to a class of drugs called long-acting beta-agonists, or LABAs, that work in part by relaxing the muscles around the lungs. LABAs also may affect other muscles, including the heart (causing it to beat faster) and skeletal muscles in the legs, feet and hands, which is what leads to leg cramps. These side effects may last only a few minutes, and they may stop happening after you've been taking Brovana for a few days.

Your doctor may adjust your dose of Brovana to stop your leg cramps. If they don't go away, you may need to stop taking Brovana.