Why is there a black box warning for Arcapta Neohaler?

Arcapta Neohaler (indacaterol) carries a warning, on the label in a black-bordered box, about asthma-related deaths. That's because a large study found an increase in deaths in people with asthma when a drug called salmeterol was added to their treatment. Although the drug in Arcapta Neohaler is indacaterol, it is in the same drug class as salmeterol and acts similarly in the body. 

People with asthma should not use Arcapta Neohaler.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What are the side effects of theophylline?
Side effects may include headache, restlessness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cr...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...
How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...