What should I avoid while using ipratropium?

When using an inhaler or a nasal spray that contains ipratropium, you should avoid spraying it in your eyes. This is very important because ipratropium can cause some fairly serious problems if it gets in your eyes. For example, it can make glaucoma worse. It can also cause the following problems:
  • mydriasis, which is an unnatural dilation of the pupil
  • increased fluid pressure in the eye
  • severe eye pain or discomfort
  • blurred vision
  • reddening of the eye membrane or the cornea
  • visual disruption, such as seeing halos or colored images

If you do get this medication in your eyes, you should rinse them thoroughly with water. Talk to your doctor right away if you get ipratropium in your eyes and experience any of those symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...
What are long-acting beta-agonist bronchodilators?
Long-acting beta-agonists relax and open the airways in the same way as short-acting beta agonists, ...
Does omalizumab have any side effects?
Side effects may include injection site reactions, upper respiratory tract and sinus infections, hea...
What should I know before using ipratropium nasal spray?
If you have bladder neck obstruction, enlarged prostate (BPH), or narrow-angle glaucoma, ipratropium...