What should I avoid while using ipratropium?

When using an inhaler or a nasal spray that contains ipratropium, you should avoid spraying it in your eyes. This is very important because ipratropium can cause some fairly serious problems if it gets in your eyes. For example, it can make glaucoma worse. It can also cause the following problems:
  • mydriasis, which is an unnatural dilation of the pupil
  • increased fluid pressure in the eye
  • severe eye pain or discomfort
  • blurred vision
  • reddening of the eye membrane or the cornea
  • visual disruption, such as seeing halos or colored images

If you do get this medication in your eyes, you should rinse them thoroughly with water. Talk to your doctor right away if you get ipratropium in your eyes and experience any of those symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems ?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
what is theophylline ?
Sustained-release theophylline (Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl) helps to open airways and reduce inflam...
how is omalizumab used to treat nasal allergies ?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune system reaction to common airborne allergens. Although ...
does omalizumab interact with any other medications ?
If you are taking belimumab or loxapine, omalizumab can lead to side effects and should be avoided. ...