What should I know about Dulera before taking it?

Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) is prescribed for treating asthma in people ages 12 and older, but it's important to know that Dulera is not a quick-relief medication for treating asthma attacks. It's used to prevent wheezing and other symptoms.

There are two active ingredients in Dulera. Mometasone is a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation and swelling in airways. Formoterol belongs to a class of drugs called long-acting beta-agonists, or LABAs, that relax and open airways to make it easier to breathe. Studies show that people with asthma who take LABA medications have an increased risk of death from asthma. If your asthma symptoms don't improve within one to two weeks of taking Dulera or if they worsen, call your doctor. If your breathing problems suddenly get worse and a rescue inhaler doesn't help, call 911.

Dulera may not be safe for some people to take, including those who have seizures, diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, an allergy to any medication, problems with the heart, liver, thyroid gland or immune system or eye problems including glaucoma or cataracts. Make sure your doctor knows if you have any of these or any other health issues.

Dulera may cause side effects, the most common of which are headaches and swelling or irritation of your nose, throat and/or sinuses. Call your doctor if you experience these or other side effects. Dulera may also interact with other drugs, possibly causing problems. Before taking Dulera, give your doctor a list of all medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements that you take.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How effective is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium reduces the severity and duration of a runny nose. But it has no effect on other symptom...
What should I know before using ipratropium nasal spray?
If you have bladder neck obstruction, enlarged prostate (BPH), or narrow-angle glaucoma, ipratropium...
Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...
Can medication cure COPD?
Below are a list of medications often used to treat symtoms of COPD: Brovana: Brovana (arformoter...