What is Xolair?

Xolair (omalizumab) is an IgE blocker prescribed to treat allergy-induced asthma. IgE, short for immunoglobulin E, is a substance produced by your body in reaction to allergens in your environment. If you have allergy-induced asthma, your body creates too much IgE setting off a chain reaction leading to asthma attacks. Xolair treats asthma by blocking the production of IgE. Doctors usually resort to Xolair when other treatment options have failed to fully control asthma. It is part of a class of medications called monoclonal antibodies. It is administered by injection under the skin once every two to four weeks.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...
What are the side effects of theophylline?
Side effects may include headache, restlessness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cr...
Does omalizumab have any side effects?
Side effects may include injection site reactions, upper respiratory tract and sinus infections, hea...
Could I be allergic to Advair Diskus?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicines contained in your Advair Diskus inhaler...