What is a Maxair Autohaler?

A Maxair (pirbuterol) Autohaler is a prescription drug for wheezing, shortness of breath and other breathing problems, delivered by a kind of inhaler that automatically provides a measured dose as a person breathes in. It is used to treat asthma or other conditions that affect breathing, by opening airways in the lungs.

The Autohaler uses chemicals known as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) as propellants. These chemicals destroy ozone in the upper atmosphere, reducing the earth's protection from harmful radiation. As a result, the Autohaler will no longer be sold after December 31, 2013. Manual inhalers will still be available.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...
How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...
How effective are bronchodilators for the treatment of COPD?
Bronchodilators can provide fast relief of symptoms for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary di...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...