What is accolate?

Accolate (also known as zafirlukast) is a medicine used for the chronic treatment and prevention of asthma symptoms in adults and children as young as five years of age. It blocks chemicals, called leukotrienes, that your body releases in response to trigger substances such as pollen, aerosolized chemicals and cold air. These leukotrienes cause tightening of the muscles around your airways, which can result in asthma attacks.

Accolate is a drug used to prevent and treat symptoms of asthma. It blocks substances that cause inflammation in the lungs. It is a type of antiasthmatic agent and a leukotriene receptor antagonist. Also called zafirlukast.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute. 

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Could I be allergic to Advair Diskus?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicines contained in your Advair Diskus inhaler...
Does ipratropium nasal spray interact with any other medications?
If you are taking an anticholinergic drug, eluxadoline, glycopyrrolate, or potassium chloride in sol...
How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...