What is the downside of giving Accolate to my child?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Accolate is a very popular asthma medicine, but It has to be taken twice a day, hours before and after meals. You can't wake a child up hours before breakfast every day to give him a drug or keep him up for hours after dinner. And are you going to trust your child to take the medicine in the middle of her morning at school, or in midafternoon? Good luck. Even adults have trouble with this restriction. So just remember, every time something comes on the market as the greatest thing since sliced bread, sooner or later it will get stale.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...
What is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium (Atrovent) is a prescription nasal spray that reduces the amount of fluid and mucus in t...
What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...