What should I know before using ipratropium nasal spray?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have bladder neck obstruction, enlarged prostate (BPH), or narrow-angle glaucoma, ipratropium nasal spray may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or may be pregnant, ipratropium nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

It is not known if ipratropium nasal spray is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age.

If you are breastfeeding, ipratropium nasal spray may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Does omalizumab have any side effects?
Side effects may include injection site reactions, upper respiratory tract and sinus infections, hea...
How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...
How effective is theophylline?
Only the sustained-release form of theophylline has been shown to help COPD. Some studies have shown...