What are the warning signs of omalizumab anaphylaxis?

The asthma control medicine omalizumab (Xolair) is in a class of medications called monoclonal antibodies. Because all monoclonal antibodies stimulate the immune system, the body can overreact with symptoms that indicate you are allergic to the medicine. The potential for this anaphylactic reaction is the reason it is always given in your doctor's office. Your doctor will keep you in the office to observe your response after the injections: for two hours on the first three visits, and for at least 30 minutes on visits thereafter. If the reaction is going to occur, it usually does so in the doctor's office. However, this can happen at any time after you go home. Be sure to read the medication guide provided by your doctor.
Tell your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms as they can be signs of anaphylaxis.
  • Problems breathing, including wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, - Chest tightening
  • Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
  • Racing or slowing heartbeat
  • Feeling anxious or a sense of "impending doom"
  • Flushing, itching, hives or feeling warm
  • Swelling of the lips, throat or tongue
  • Throat tightness, hoarse voice or trouble swallowing

If you experience any of these symptoms, you must get immediate emergency medical attention.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...
Does omalizumab have any side effects?
Side effects may include injection site reactions, upper respiratory tract and sinus infections, hea...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
What should I know before taking a long-acting beta-agonist bronchodilator?
Long-acting beta-agonists slightly increase the risks of a severe asthma attack, hospitalization, an...