Can I use pirbuterol during my pregnancy?

Pirbuterol has been given a "C" pregnancy rating by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), meaning that risk to the fetus cannot be excluded. However, experts generally agree that it is better for the fetus if your asthma is under good control during your pregnancy. The risk of low oxygen to the baby--which will occur if your asthma is not well-controlled--is probably worse than the risk to the fetus of potential side effects of pirbuterol. The best thing to do is to discuss your concerns and questions with your doctor. Together, you can come up with a treatment plan that keeps you and your developing baby as safe and healthy as possible.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...
How effective are bronchodilators for the treatment of COPD?
Bronchodilators can provide fast relief of symptoms for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary di...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
What is theophylline?
Sustained-release theophylline (Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl) helps to open airways and reduce inflam...