Can I take omalizumab if I am pregnant?

Omalizumab is in a class of medications called monoclonal antibodies, and little is known about their effect on pregnant women. Omalizumab is classified in the pregnancy Category B by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that the safety or harm during pregnancy has not been confirmed through human studies.

The manufacturer of Xolair has set up an observational pregnancy registry to monitor the effect omalizumab has on pregnancy. You can enroll in this program any time before and during pregnancy.

As with all drug use during pregnancy, the benefits should outweigh any risk to both you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How is omalizumab used to treat nasal allergies?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune system reaction to common airborne allergens. Although ...
How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...
What are the side effects of theophylline?
Side effects may include headache, restlessness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cr...