Can I take omalizumab if I am pregnant?

Omalizumab is in a class of medications called monoclonal antibodies, and little is known about their effect on pregnant women. Omalizumab is classified in the pregnancy Category B by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that the safety or harm during pregnancy has not been confirmed through human studies.

The manufacturer of Xolair has set up an observational pregnancy registry to monitor the effect omalizumab has on pregnancy. You can enroll in this program any time before and during pregnancy.

As with all drug use during pregnancy, the benefits should outweigh any risk to both you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What should I know before taking a long-acting beta-agonist bronchodilator?
Long-acting beta-agonists slightly increase the risks of a severe asthma attack, hospitalization, an...
What is theophylline?
Sustained-release theophylline (Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl) helps to open airways and reduce inflam...
How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
What is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium (Atrovent) is a prescription nasal spray that reduces the amount of fluid and mucus in t...