If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Maxair?

If you are pregnant, talk with your doctor about whether it is safe for you to use Maxair (pirbuterol). This inhaled drug eases symptoms of asthma and other lung diseases, but it hasn't been studied in pregnant women. However, studies of Maxair in animals found that very high doses of the drug could harm developing fetuses.

Maxair is known to inhibit uterine contractions. Women in labor should not use this drug unless the benefit outweighs the risk.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...
What should I know before taking a long-acting beta-agonist bronchodilator?
Long-acting beta-agonists slightly increase the risks of a severe asthma attack, hospitalization, an...
How effective is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium reduces the severity and duration of a runny nose. But it has no effect on other symptom...
How effective is omalizumab at treating nasal allergies?
Omalizumab has been shown to provide symptom relief, lessen the need for rescue medication, and impr...