What should I know about formoterol before I take it?

You should know that formoterol belongs to a class of medications known as long-acting beta agonists, one of which was shown in a study to increase the risk of severe asthma attacks in some patients. As a result, most doctors only prescribe it in combination with other drugs. After your symptoms are under control, the doctor will usually tell patients to stop using formoterol and rely on another medication.
Talk to your doctor also if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or breastfeed, have allergies to any medicine or to milk proteins or if you have any of the following conditions:
  • thyroid disease
  • diabetes
  • high blood pressure
  • an irregular heartbeat
  • heart disease

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
Does omalizumab interact with any other medications?
If you are taking belimumab or loxapine, omalizumab can lead to side effects and should be avoided. ...
How effective is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium reduces the severity and duration of a runny nose. But it has no effect on other symptom...