How do I use my Advair HFA inhaler?

You should use your Advair HFA inhaler exactly as directed by your doctor. There is a medication guide included in each package of Advair HFA. Keep it nearby to look at as needed. Use it at the same times each day because it is easier to remember. If you have any questions about timing or how to take it, ask your doctor or pharmacist.

The first time you use the inhaler, shake the canister and prime it by releasing two test sprays into the air. Before you take each dose, give the canister a few good shakes.  Exhale slowly and fully and then place the mouthpiece between your lips, and inhale slowly and deeply as you press down on the canister to release the medicine. Remove the mouthpiece, close your lips and hold your breath for 10 seconds or longer if you can. Then exhale slowly through your nose or pursed lips. If you are supposed to take a second dose, wait 20 seconds and then repeat the same steps.

Once you are done, rinse your mouth out with water and spit out the residue; do not swallow it. Keep track of the number of doses you have taken and when you reach the total listed on the label, you can throw away the whole unit, canister and inhaler.

Do not take the medicine more or less often than your doctor prescribed. And even if your asthma symptoms go away, do not stop taking the medicine without first talking to your doctor. You will get the most benefit from the drug by using it regularly.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What is ipratropium nasal spray?
Ipratropium (Atrovent) is a prescription nasal spray that reduces the amount of fluid and mucus in t...
How effective is theophylline?
Only the sustained-release form of theophylline has been shown to help COPD. Some studies have shown...
Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...
What is theophylline?
Sustained-release theophylline (Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl) helps to open airways and reduce inflam...