How do I take omalizumab (Xolair)?

Since omalizumab (Xolair) is administered by injection at the clinic or doctor's office, you will just need to keep your appointments.
Omalizumab is used to treat moderate-to-severe persistent allergic asthma, the type of asthma that occurs when you react to allergens like dander, pollen or dust mite particles. Your doctor will test you to be sure that your asthma is triggered by allergy before giving you this medicine. Omalizumab is always given as a subcutaneous injection (just under the skin). The dose will depend on how sick you are to start, how you respond to the medicine and your body weight. You can receive injections once every two or four weeks. Because this drug can produce a life-threatening reaction called anaphylaxis, you must be monitored closely, two hours for the first three visits, and for at least 30 minutes during your visits thereafter.

Read the medication guide carefully beforehand so you know the problems to look out for when you leave the office, and ask questions if you don't understand what you need to do.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Could I be allergic to Advair Diskus?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicines contained in your Advair Diskus inhaler...
Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...
How is omalizumab used to treat asthma?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune response to common airborne allergens. This reduces inf...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...