How can I minimize the side effects of Maxair?

You can minimize the side effects of Maxair (pirbuterol) by using it only as directed to treat your asthma or other breathing condition. To ensure you get the proper dose, keep the inhaler at room temperature (between 59 and 86 degrees F).

Be sure to tell your doctor if you have any kind of cardiovascular disease because it may raise your risk of experiencing serious side effects from Maxair. Other medical problems or medications can also raise your risk, so give your doctor a complete picture of your medical history before starting this drug. Don't use other asthma inhalers with Maxair, because they can combine to produce an overdose.

To ensure you get the right dose from the Maxair inhaler, prime it before you use it the first time or if you haven't used it in two weeks. Spray three puffs into the air, away from yourself and other people.

Rinse your mouth with water, chew gum or suck on a hard candy to relieve dry mouth or throat irritation that can occur after taking a dose of Maxair.

Call your doctor if your breathing becomes more difficult after using Maxair or if you have any serious side effects.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

Does ipratropium nasal spray have any side effects?
Side effects may include headaches, nosebleeds, a stuffy nose, and a dry nose, mouth, or throat.  T...
What is theophylline?
Sustained-release theophylline (Theo-24, Theochron, Uniphyl) helps to open airways and reduce inflam...
Could I be allergic to Advair Diskus?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicines contained in your Advair Diskus inhaler...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...