How should I clean my Advair HFA inhaler?

You should clean the Advair HFA inhaler at least once a week after your evening dose. This helps to avoid medicine building up in the canister and plastic actuator, blocking the spray. First, take the cap off the mouthpiece. The strap on the cap will stay attached to the actuator. Do not take the canister out of the plastic actuator.

Using a dry cotton swab, clean the circular opening where the medicine sprays out of the canister by twisting in a circular motion. Wipe the inside of the mouthpiece with a clean tissue dampened with water. Then let the actuator air-dry overnight. Put the cap back on the mouthpiece in the morning after the actuator has dried.

Your doctor or pharmacist should have a brochure outlining how to do this. Ask them any questions you might have to make sure you do this properly.