Is there a generic version of Advair?

Currently there is no generic version of Advair available. Although prescription medications normally become available once their patent expires, it is not clear when exactly this will occur for Advair. This is because the medication is made up of a mix of active ingredients, each with different patents and each with different legal protections and potential entanglements for would-be generic manufacturers, and because of Advair's Diskus delivery system, which is a popular and patented means of dosing. Even when all drug and device patents expire (one of the drugs in Advair, fluticasone, is no longer patent-protected), a combination version with a means of inhaling will have to clear a number of approval hurdles before it is available for consumers.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...
Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...
How is omalizumab used to treat asthma?
Omalizumab (Xolair) blocks the body's immune response to common airborne allergens. This reduces inf...
What should I know before taking omalizumab?
It is not known if omalizumab is safe or effective for children under 6 years of age. Omalizumab ma...