What should I know before taking zileuton extended-release tablets?

Zileuton should not to be used for an asthma attack in progress. If you have asthma, you should have rescue asthma treatment available, even if they use zileuton for prevention. Zileuton extended-release tablets might take three weeks for full effect. Talk to your doctor before discontinuing your prescription if your asthma symptoms seem to worsen. This drug should not be used if you have any kind of liver condition, if you're allergic to any ingredient in zileuton or if you are currently taking pimozide.

If you drink alcohol, have any history of liver problems or mental or mood conditions, or have any other food or drug allergies, your condition may be complicated by the use of this drug. Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you're taking before starting on this drug. This drug can cause thoughts of suicide and put you at risk for self-harm, so make sure you tell family members and friends to be on the lookout for odd, aggressive or depressive behavior.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

How effective is theophylline?
Only the sustained-release form of theophylline has been shown to help COPD. Some studies have shown...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...
How effective is theophylline at treating asthma?
Theophylline is an alternative treatment for asthma. When taken alone, it improves lung function, bu...