What should I know before taking zileuton extended-release tablets?

Zileuton should not to be used for an asthma attack in progress. If you have asthma, you should have rescue asthma treatment available, even if they use zileuton for prevention. Zileuton extended-release tablets might take three weeks for full effect. Talk to your doctor before discontinuing your prescription if your asthma symptoms seem to worsen. This drug should not be used if you have any kind of liver condition, if you're allergic to any ingredient in zileuton or if you are currently taking pimozide.

If you drink alcohol, have any history of liver problems or mental or mood conditions, or have any other food or drug allergies, your condition may be complicated by the use of this drug. Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you're taking before starting on this drug. This drug can cause thoughts of suicide and put you at risk for self-harm, so make sure you tell family members and friends to be on the lookout for odd, aggressive or depressive behavior.

Continue Learning about Antiasthma

What are the side effects of theophylline?
Side effects may include headache, restlessness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cr...
What should I know about theophylline before taking it?
If you take theophylline, you should avoid alcohol. If you have a seizure disorder that is not adeq...
Can taking antiasthma medications increase my risk for eye problems?
Risks of taking Dulera for asthma Taking the asthma drug Dulera (mometasone and formoterol) may incr...
Does theophylline interact with any other medications?
If you are taking deferasirox, iobenguane I-123, pancuronium, or riociguat, theophylline can lead to...