What is quinidine gluconate?

Quinidine gluconate is the gluconate salt of quinidine. The other form of quinidine is the sulfate salt. Quinidine gluconate is most often used to treat irregular heartbeats, known as arrhythmia, but may be used to treat malaria caused by susceptible organisms. It is called a Type I antiarrhythmic drug, and works by altering the movement of sodium in and out of the heart cells which affects the speed and frequency of the heartbeat.

Continue Learning about Anti-Infective Agent

What medications does hydroxychloroquine interact with?
If you are taking digoxin, hydroxychloroquine may not be a good option for you. This answer was ada...
What side effects does hydroxychloroquine cause?
Side effects may include retinal problems, headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting,...
What should I know about hydroxychloroquine before taking it?
Hydroxychloroquine should not be taken for prolonged periods by children. If you have glucose-6-pho...
What is hydroxychloroquine?
Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) was developed to treat malaria, but was later found to be an effectiv...