What happens if I miss a dose of sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine?

Try as much as possible to avoid skipping doses of sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine, because if you skip a dose or do not finish it completely, you allow the parasite to reproduce and form a resistance to the medication. That said, if you miss a dose of sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine you should try to take it as soon as possible. If it is already time to take your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue on your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to compensate for the missed dose. Overdoses of sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine can cause trembling, continual vomiting, fatigue, throat irritation, decreased appetite, fever, unsteadiness, seizures and extreme bleeding and bruising.

Continue Learning about Anti-Infective Agent

What is hydroxychloroquine?
Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) was developed to treat malaria, but was later found to be an effectiv...
What side effects does hydroxychloroquine cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 13% of patients experien...
What should I know about hydroxychloroquine before taking it?
Hydroxychloroquine should not be taken for prolonged periods by children. If you have glucose-6-pho...
How effective is hydroxychloroquine for treating rheumatoid arthritis?
Hydroxychloroquine has not been studied as much as other DMARDs. For people with RA, it seems to be ...