Can I give nitazoxanide (Alinia) to my child?

Nitazoxanide (Alinia) is used to treat diarrhea caused by Cryptosporidium and Giardia. These organisms are sometimes referred to as traveler's diarrhea. Nitazoxanide comes in tablet and liquid form, which is easier for children to take. It is important that they receive the entire dose of nitazoxanide so follow the directions provided by your pharmacist and make sure they complete the entire course indicated in the prescription. The dose will depend on your child's age and body weight. Do not give children under 12 the tablet form because the dose will be too high.

Nitazoxanide dosage in children
• 1-3 years receive 5 mL containing 100 mg every 12 hours for 3 days
• 4-11 years receive 10 mL containing 200 mg every 12 hours for 3 days
• 12 years and over receive a tablet or liquid containing 500 mg every 12 hours for 3 days

Continue Learning about Anti-Infective Agent

What is hydroxychloroquine?
Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) was developed to treat malaria, but was later found to be an effectiv...
What should I know about hydroxychloroquine before taking it?
Hydroxychloroquine should not be taken for prolonged periods by children. If you have glucose-6-pho...
What side effects does hydroxychloroquine cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 13% of patients experien...
How effective is hydroxychloroquine for treating rheumatoid arthritis?
Hydroxychloroquine has not been studied as much as other DMARDs. For people with RA, it seems to be ...