What should I know about lopinavir and ritonavir (LPV/r) before taking it?

Lopinavir-ritonavir (LPV/r) can cause pancreatitis. It can also increase your risk of liver damage and a dangerous cardiac arrhythmias. It can increase your risk of hyperglycemia, or dangerously high blood sugar levels. It can increase your cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Lopinavir-ritonavir can cause you to add body fat in places that are unusual for you, and lose body fat in other places. Lopinavir-ritonavir can increase your risk of bleeding and it should not be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Talk to your doctor before using lopinavir-ritonavir if you have any of the following: liver disease, a history of arrhythmia, long QT syndrome, hypokalemia, or low blood potassium, diabetes, high cholesterol or triglyceride levels, heart disease, hemophilia or allergies to lopinavir-ritonavir or to any other foods or drugs.