What is clonazepam?

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is an anti-anxiety medication that is prescription only, and is tightly regulated as a controlled substance. It is usually prescribed to relieve panic attacks, extreme anxiety, movement problems (also called akathisias) and seizures.

It works by modifying electrical impulses in the central nervous system, especially the brain. It is in the drug class called the benzodiazepines. There has been some concern about addiction with benzodiazepines, particularly clonazepam.

It may be prescribed by a psychiatrist, neurologist, family medicine or internal medicine physician or some other physician practitioner.

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

As an older adult, what should I know about taking anti-anxiety drugs?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
As we age, drugs tend to be metabolized and absorbed more slowly, lingering longer in the body. This...
What anti-anxiety medicines are used to treat generalized anxiety disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
One class of anti-anxiety medications, called benzodiazepines, works to immediately ease the symptom...
What Are Some Risks of Anti-Anxiety Medications?
What Should I Be Aware of Before I Start Taking Anti-Anxiety Medication?