What is clonazepam?

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is an anti-anxiety medication that is prescription only, and is tightly regulated as a controlled substance. It is usually prescribed to relieve panic attacks, extreme anxiety, movement problems (also called akathisias) and seizures.

It works by modifying electrical impulses in the central nervous system, especially the brain. It is in the drug class called the benzodiazepines. There has been some concern about addiction with benzodiazepines, particularly clonazepam.

It may be prescribed by a psychiatrist, neurologist, family medicine or internal medicine physician or some other physician practitioner.

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

How do I know if I'm taking too much anti-anxiety medication?
Dr. Sudeepta Varma, MDDr. Sudeepta Varma, MD
You may be taking too much anti-anxiety medication if you find you need it more often, and if your d...
What anti-anxiety medications can help me relax at the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Anti-anxiety agents, such as nitrous oxide, or sedatives may help you relax during dental visits and...
What Are Some Risks of Anti-Anxiety Medications?
What Should I Be Aware of Before I Start Taking Anti-Anxiety Medication?