What precautions should I take with clonazepam (Klonopin)?

Your doctor and pharmacist should discuss several precautions of clonazepam (Klonopin) with you before you take it. These include:

  • Do not take clonazepam (Klonopin) if you know you are allergic to it or any other benzodiazepine, such as diazepam (Valium), alprazolam (Xanax), lorazepam (Ativan), midazolam (Versed), flurazepam (Dalmane), triazolam (Halcion) or any other benzodiazepine.
  • Make sure you tell your doctor and pharmacist every other nonprescription substance (including vitamins, aspirin or any dietary supplements like valerian root or St. John's Wort) and any prescription drugs you are taking.
  • Tell your physician if you have ever had glaucoma.
  • Tell your doctor about your alcohol intake.
  • Tell your doctor about your plans to get pregnant, if you are currently pregnant or if you are breast-feeding. Clonazepam might cause harm to a developing baby.
  • Tell any doctor or dentist if you are taking clonazepam before undergoing a procedure or surgery.
  • Talk to your doctor about any mental health changes you experience (depression, thoughts of suicide, etc.)

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

What are some risks of anti-anxiety medications?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Anti-anxiety medications can be very effective if closely monitored by a doctor for short doses; but...
More Answers
What anti-anxiety medications can help me relax at the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Anti-anxiety agents, such as nitrous oxide, or sedatives may help you relax during dental visits and...
More Answers
How Do I Know If I'm Taking Too Much Anti-Anxiety Medication?
How Do I Know If I'm Taking Too Much Anti-Anxiety Medication?
What Are Some Alternative Therapies to Treat Anxiety?
What Are Some Alternative Therapies to Treat Anxiety?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.