How should I take diazepam?

Diazepam comes as an injection, tablet, capsule, liquid and rectal gel. If you take the tablets, take them with or without food. The extended release capsule should be swallowed whole and not be chewed, crushed or opened.

If you take the liquid, use only the calibrated dropper provided with the product. Draw into the dropper the amount prescribed for a single dose. Then squeeze the dropper contents into a liquid or semi-solid food. It should be mixed with water, juice or other beverages or with applesauce or pudding. Stir the liquid or food gently for a few seconds. Consume the entire amount of the mixture immediately. Do not store for future use.

When using the rectal gel, a pharmacist must set the correct dose the doctor prescribed and lock the rectal syringe prior to dispensing the product to the patient. It is ready when the "Green Ready Band" is clearly visible. To administer the rectal gel:

• Put person on their side where they cannot fall.
  • To remove the protective cover from syringe, push up with thumb and pull.
  • The green 'ready' band should be visible.
  • Lubricate rectal tip with lubricating jelly.
  • Turn person on side facing you and bend upper leg forward to expose rectum. Separate buttocks to expose rectum.
  • Gently insert syringe tip into rectum (rim should be snug against rectal opening) and slowly count to three while gently pushing the plunger in until it stops. Slowly count to three before removing the syringe from the rectum.
  • Slowly count to three while holding the buttocks together to prevent leakage.

Keep person on the side facing you, note time given and continue to observe. Ask your pharmacist for instructions if you need help with how to take diazepam.

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

Are anti-anxiety medications used to treat bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Anti-anxiety medications are often used to compliment mood stabilizers that regulate the moods of pe...
What anti-anxiety medications can help me relax at the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Anti-anxiety agents, such as nitrous oxide, or sedatives may help you relax during dental visits and...
What Are Some Alternative Therapies to Treat Anxiety?
What Should I Be Aware of Before I Start Taking Anti-Anxiety Medication?