How do I take oxazepam?

Oxazepam (Serax, Zaxopam) is a benzodiazepine, a mild tranquilizer that reduces nervousness, tension, irritability and agitation in people with anxiety disorder, and the anxiety associated with depression and alcohol withdrawal. Your doctor will start you out on the lowest dose and increase it as necessary. Oxazepam comes as a 10 milligram (mg.), 15 mg. and 30 mg. capsule. The typical dose is 10 to 30 mg., taken three or four times a day, with or without food.

Although oxazepam is a schedule IV controlled substance, which means it carries a low risk for addiction, it can be habit-forming in some people and should only be taken short-term, typically less than four months.

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

How do I know if I'm taking too much anti-anxiety medication?
Dr. Sudeepta Varma, MDDr. Sudeepta Varma, MD
You may be taking too much anti-anxiety medication if you find you need it more often, and if your d...
Are anti-anxiety medications used to treat bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Anti-anxiety medications are often used to compliment mood stabilizers that regulate the moods of pe...
How Do I Know If I'm Taking Too Much Anti-Anxiety Medication?
What Should I Be Aware of Before I Start Taking Anti-Anxiety Medication?