How does buspirone help treat generalized anxiety disorder?

Buspirone (BuSpar) binds to receptors for serotonin and dopamine. The effect is to increase serotonin activity and decrease dopamine activity in the brain. Like the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), buspirone is used for the long-term treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. But it begins to work faster, after about two weeks. Because it has few side effects and no serious drug interactions, it's a good alternative to benzodiazepines in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder in older individuals or those with a history of substance abuse. However, this medication isn't effective for most other anxiety disorders.

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

What anti-anxiety medicines are used to treat generalized anxiety disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
One class of anti-anxiety medications, called benzodiazepines, works to immediately ease the symptom...
Can I drink alcohol if I take anti-anxiety medicine?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
There are some anti-anxiety medicines that should definitely not be combined with alcohol. These wou...
What Are Some Alternative Therapies to Treat Anxiety?
What Should I Be Aware of Before I Start Taking Anti-Anxiety Medication?