Can I take oxazepam if I am nursing?

Nursing mothers should not take Oxazepam. Oxazepam is a benzodiazepine derivative that acts as CNS neurodepressor. Indications includes: anxiety disorders, adjustment disorders with anxious mood. Oxazepam therapeutic action includes: anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, and hypnotic, and the therapeutic effects includes sedation, lethargy, hypnosis and even coma. it crosses placenta and may cause CNS depression in neonate. Following oral administration, absorption in the gastrointestinal mucosa is fast with high plasma bioavailability of 90 to 95% and has maximum serum concentration at about 2 hours. It is excreted in the breast milk during lactation and may cause sedation, feeding difficulties and weight loss in new born.

Oxazepam (Serax, Zaxopam) is a benzodiazepine, a mild tranquilizer that reduces nervousness, tension, irritability and agitation in people with anxiety disorder, depression and alcohol withdrawal. Oxazepam might be distributed into breast milk, causing sedation, feeding difficulties and weight loss in the nursing infant. The use of oxazepam during breastfeeding is generally not recommended.

Continue Learning about Anti-anxiety

What foods should I avoid if I take anti-anxiety medicine?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors such as phenelzine (Nardil) or tranylcypromine (Parna...
How do I know if I'm taking too much anti-anxiety medication?
Dr. Sudeepta Varma, MDDr. Sudeepta Varma, MD
You may be taking too much anti-anxiety medication if you find you need it more often, and if your d...
What Should I Be Aware of Before I Start Taking Anti-Anxiety Medication?
What Are Some Risks of Anti-Anxiety Medications?