Will I wrinkle like my mother did?

The genes you inherit from your parents do influence how your skin ages. If your mother had a lot of wrinkles, you may be susceptible to lines on your skin. But genes are not the only thing determining how many wrinkles you'll develop over the years. Many other factors contribute, including the environment and your personal habits.

To limit the lines on your face and body, protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun's rays. Wear protective clothing and hats and use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher when you go outdoors. Avoid direct sunlight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Avoiding tobacco will promote younger-looking skin, too. Talk to a dermatologist about other ways you can ward off wrinkles. 

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

Busy Woman's Guide: 7 Best Anti-Aging Beauty Secrets
"I want to look older." Said no one ever (no one over 20, that is). Six weeks after my daughter was born, I saw them. Lines! Crow’s feet! When did t...
How can I reverse the signs of aging on my face?
You can now easily zap away the signs of aging in your face with laser treatments. Watch as Dr. K...
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
Find out where Americans have the unhealthiest RealAge.
How Can I Stop Making Facial Expressions That Cause Wrinkles?