Will I wrinkle like my mother did?

The genes you inherit from your parents do influence how your skin ages. If your mother had a lot of wrinkles, you may be susceptible to lines on your skin. But genes are not the only thing determining how many wrinkles you'll develop over the years. Many other factors contribute, including the environment and your personal habits.

To limit the lines on your face and body, protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun's rays. Wear protective clothing and hats and use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher when you go outdoors. Avoid direct sunlight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Avoiding tobacco will promote younger-looking skin, too. Talk to a dermatologist about other ways you can ward off wrinkles. 

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

Whole Grains for Clearer Skin
Whole Grains for Clearer Skin
Wrinkles and pimples? It just doesn't seem fair. If you've tried cleansers, astringents and toners, but those stubborn red bumps are like nosy neighb...
What ingredients should I look for in an effective, anti-aging eye cream?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Using the right eye cream is critical to youthful-looking eyes; niacinamide, caffeine and retinol ar...
5 Myths About Wrinkles, Busted
5 Myths About Wrinkles, Busted5 Myths About Wrinkles, Busted5 Myths About Wrinkles, Busted5 Myths About Wrinkles, Busted
Wrinkles are creases in the skin—most of which are the result of aging—and, unfortunately, there's little you can do to prevent them. Wrinkles are a n...
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Chin?