What skin care products help reduce wrinkling?

There aren’t many of them, but they work. Two are prescription-only derivatives of vitamin A: tretinoin (brand names: Retin-A, Avita, Renova) and tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage). Called retinoids, these are FDA-approved, rub-on treatments that rank high on my list of skin-renewal candidates. I regularly prescribe them in my practice, and they can be applied to the neck, chest, hands, and forearms in addition to the face. You would start by applying the treatment twice weekly—at night while your skin is naturally recuperating. This helps you minimize the irritation that usually accompanies the treatment when you first start out. Then, you would increase how often you use it, with the goal of applying it every night.

It takes several weeks to start seeing results, but prescription retinoids can transform your skin, smoothing wrinkles, unclogging pores, lightening superficial brown spots, and improving the texture of the skin. They also go to town on acne, as well as be used to treat other skin conditions, such as psoriasis, all of which we’ll discuss later. Retinoids can actually regenerate collagen and may help prevent basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, too. These are the nonmelanoma skin cancers. Nothing else you can buy in a drug or department store will be as effective and powerful. Some people do experience side effects from these, including skin irritation (dryness, redness, and peeling) and an increased sensitivity to sunlight, but most people do not experience them to the point where they want to discontinue use. There are ways to lessen any potential side effects by using a lower concentration or avoiding any super sensitive areas on the skin. This is why you would start using a retinoid once or twice a week, then get up to applying it every night at some later point.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

How do alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) make skin look younger?
For a more youthful complexion wash with a weekly AHA at-home skin peel. Doing so will remove dead s...
What type of clothing best prevents a sunburn?
The following are some tips to use when selecting clothing to protect you from a sunburn: Choose...
How can I better protect my skin as I get older?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
When you get older your skin becomes more prone to sensitivity and damage. While you still need a he...
How Can I Protect My Skin From the Aging Process?