A Answers (5)
Normal skin aging can encompass a number of changes to the texture, tone, and thickness of skin. How quickly or slowly these changes happen can vary greatly from person to person. Common signs of skin aging include:
- loss of subcutaneous fat
- rough, leathery appearance
- decreased pigmentation such as pale, sallow complexion, and dark circles under the eyes
- uneven pigmentation such as blotchiness, discoloration, and ruddiness
- uneven texture
- increased dryness
- easier bruising and tearing
- increase in broken blood vessels
- increase in spots and blemishes such as age spots, freckles, moles, and actinic keratosis
- slower wound healing
Although some causes of skin aging are biological and inevitable, lifestyle does play a role.
The signs of aging skin include uneven pigmentation, discoloration, blotchiness, sagging, wrinkling, and scarring. Continuing use of proper skin care products, such as gentle synthetic detergent cleansers and adequate moisturizers, can help to delay the onset of aging symptoms.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
To find out if your skin is aging faster than it should, take your facial fingerprint. Learn how to do this in this video of Dr. Oz.
Virtually every biochemical reaction in your skin is affected by the progression of time and exposure to harmful environmental conditions. Some of the manifestations of chronologic and environmental aging include:
- Loss of skin firmness
- Reduced skin elasticity
- Increased skin dryness
- Pigmentation disorders such as age spots and uneven pigmentation
- Loss of radiance and an increase in dullness
- Formation of fine lines and wrinkles
- Increased fragility to trauma creating bruises and rashes
- Greater translucency which shows more veins
- Increased redness due to blood vessel dilation
One of the most distressing signs of aging is called the nasolabial fold. You know what it is -- it's the line between the cheek and lip. Plastic surgeons have been filling the nasolabial folds with things like collagen, fat, Restylane and Radiesse for over 2 decades.
Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.