What do injectable anti-aging treatments do?

Jeannette O. Graf, MD
Dermatology
There are a number of injectable products that have various functions. Injecting neurotoxins such as Botox into depressor muscles that pull us down relaxes these muscles. The result is the lift in muscles as they become stronger, giving us a lift.

Anti-aging fillers vary by density and viscosity and therefore an injector's preference plays a role. These include Restylane, Juvederm AC, Belotero, Perlane and Radiesse. The idea of fillers is to aim to create a natural look so that others do not necessarily notice.  

Sculptra is a stimulator and therefore works over time, following massage.

Voluma is a newly approved mid-face filler that is a derivative of Juvederm which enhances the lateral zygomatic cheeks. This creates a youthful, fresh look that is quite natural. 

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

Winter Skin Savers
Winter Skin Savers
Frigid, dry air outside and heated, dry air inside, can do a number on your skin during the winter months. But you don't need fancy repair creams that...
What are my choices for anti-aging skin treatments?
Haideh Hirmand, MDHaideh Hirmand, MD
There are many anti-aging skin treatment options available today, including non-invasive injections,...
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
Find out where Americans have the unhealthiest RealAge.
How Can I Protect My Skin From the Aging Process?