What are my choices for anti-aging skin treatments?

Haideh Hirmand, MD
Plastic Surgery
There are many anti-aging skin treatment options available today, including non-invasive injections, peels and lasers, as well as surgical options. Watch me share the latest, most effective anti-aging skin treatments.
James M.. Wilmott
Dermatology

Good anti-aging products combine the benefits of an immediate improvement in the appearance of lines, wrinkles, blemishes, or pigmentation disorders with materials that have a physiological benefit in helping the skin return to a proper metabolism and functioning.  The former should include optical diffusers such as Nylon-12, PMMA beads, spherical silica, or light diffusing polymers.  The latter should contain at least some of the time tested and scientifically proven materials that clinically improve the appearance of the skin.  These materials include retinol (Vitamin A) or derivatives of retinol (retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, retinyl propionate), ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) or derivates of ascorbic acid (ascorbyl glucuronide, ascorbyl palmitate, salts of ascorbic acid phosphate), niacinamide (Vitamin B3), alpha or beta hydroxy acids (glycolic acid, lactic acid, fruit acids, salicylic acid), soothing agents (allantoin, chamomile, licorice), compounds to improve specific functions (peptides, botanicals), and intense moisturizing agents (glycerin, hyaluronic acid, pentylene glycol, urea).    These products should also either contain a sunscreen or be used in conjunction with a sunscreen and antioxidants to protect the skin from further damage that can accelerate the premature signs of aging.

Anti-aging treatments generally fall into three categories:

• things we (and sometimes you) can smooth onto the skin (Retin-A, chemical peels)
  • things we can inject under the skin (Botox, wrinkle fillers)
  • things that create an entirely new skin surface, eliminating problems the first two can’t touch (lasers and other tools)

Currently, there are two basic types of injectibles: muscle relaxers (Botox completely dominates this market), which aim to keep frown lines and brow furrows from getting etched in to begin with, and wrinkle fillers (there are several, with new ones appearing every year), which plump up and smooth out deep folds and creases. Fillers can also dramatically improve scars left by acne or injuries.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

The Best Reason to Look Younger
The Best Reason to Look Younger
If you don't look a day older than the age on your driver's license, that could mean a longer life for you. A study of elderly adult twins showed a c...
How do I moisturize my undereye skin to prevent the signs of aging?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Moisturize the undereye area morning and night, and as needed throughout the day if this delicat...
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
Find out where Americans have the unhealthiest RealAge.
How Can I Tell If an Anti-Aging Treatment Will Really Work?