How can I keep my aging skin healthy?

David Pollock
Cosmetology
Take a few minutes every day for a proper skin care regimen that will cleanse away impurities, exfoliate dead skin cells, and hydrate and nourish the newly revealed skin cells. Use an eye gel or cream to target crow’s-feet. Proper skin care will help restore that healthy, radiant glow!

Keeping your aging skin healthy requires proper care and maintenance. Aging skin becomes thinner and less smooth. Because you have less fat in your skin, your veins and bones may appear more prominent. Your skin becomes drier as you age as well. It can also take longer to heal from a cut or bruise.

To prevent premature skin aging, protect your skin from sun damage and other harmful elements. Here are some tips:

• Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. when harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays are strongest.
  • Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher. Also look for broad-spectrum formulas that protect against both UVA and UVB rays and are water resistant. Reapply the lotion as needed.
  • Wear protective clothing such as a hat, sunglasses that block 99% to 100% of the sun's rays, and loose, lightweight, long-sleeved shirts and long pants or long skirts.

Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

Whole Grains for Clearer Skin
Whole Grains for Clearer Skin
Wrinkles and pimples? It just doesn't seem fair. If you've tried cleansers, astringents and toners, but those stubborn red bumps are like nosy neighb...
How can I look younger?
As we age, the skin loses firmness and vitality. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Audrey Kunin give vie...
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
Find out where Americans have the unhealthiest RealAge.
4 Steps to Glowing Skin
4 Steps to Glowing Skin