How can I prevent my hands from getting wrinkles?

When you apply that antiaging cream or serum to your face at night, slap some on your hands as well to prevent wrinkles. Those same ingredients that keep your face young work for hands, too. “Look for retinol, antioxidants and peptides,” New Orleans dermatologist Mary Lupo, MD, told us. For more serious crinkles, fractional laser treatments can help. These treatments send a blast of intense heat underneath skin’s surface, triggering collagen production and helping firm up skin. Studies done on patients’ hands showed a 26 to 50% improvement in wrinkles, pigmentation and texture after six months. Multiple treatments are needed for optimal results.

Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiologist

Limiting sun exposure and not smoking can prevent wrinkles. There are also different treatments to lessen the appearance of wrinkles. Retinoids are effective in evening out pigmentation and curing roughness/wrinkling. Various moisturizers can also minimize the appearance of wrinkles, even though they do not permanently remove fine lines. Deep peels using salicylic acid and trichloroacetic acid and dermabrasion, which “sands the skin," can both be used to smooth out fine lines. Laser treatment stimulates the production of collagen, which makes skin firm and prevents wrinkles.

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

Best Anti-Aging Ingredients in Skin Care Products
"The most important defense against aging skin is using sunscreen daily," says Gary Marder, a cosmetic dermatologist based in Port St. Lucie and Okeec...
What type of clothing best prevents a sunburn?
The type of clothing that best prevents a sunburn is clothing that covers the body while in the sun....
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
25 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 201225 Top Cities for Aging Too Fast 2012
Find out where Americans have the unhealthiest RealAge.
What Ingredients Should I Look for in an Effective, Anti-Aging Eye Cream?