How can I choose the best antiaging product?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Most of us feel baffled and frustrated, with way too many choices. According to the American Academy of Dermatology in Schaumburg, Illinois, 94 percent of women are confused by their antiaging options. So let's demystify the cosmeceutical mystery. There are four rules to remember:
  • Prevent aging skin with what you already own: sunscreen
  • Sun protection is the best antiaging product you have and the best investment you can make. Ninety percent of cosmetic skin problems that occur with age (wrinkles, sagging, hyperpigmentation) are caused by sun exposure, according to the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
  • Read product labels closely.
  • The label must list ingredients from the highest concentration to the lowest, so if the antiaging element you are looking for, be it niacinamide or vitamin C, is near the bottom, there's not enough in the product to do anything.
  • Choose your antiaging ingredients wisely
  • Are you in your twenties and looking for a preventive product? An antioxidant is a good bet. Do you want to fight wrinkles? Then something with retinoic acid will work. If brown spots and uneven skin tone are your problem, you can use retinoic acid or try a product with niacinamide. Narrow down what it is about your complexion you want to improve, and that will help narrow down your options.
  • Research products, and learn the difference between miracles and marketing
Do your homework on ingredients, and think logically about their claims. Frequently what is proclaimed to be a new chemical innovation turns out to be a derivative of something that already exists. For instance, an exciting ingredient (whose name was created and patented by a cosmetic company) claims to stimulate the production of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) and increase the storage of moisture in the dermis. This chemical has a cool, sci-fi name and sounds like an amazing discovery, yet it's simply a plant-derived form of xylose (a sugar molecule like the GAGs).
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

What natural beauty products help me look younger?
Which beauty product from the ocean prevents wrinkles: green algae or sea mud? In this video, Dr. Oz...
What skin care products help reduce wrinkling?
Jeanette JackninJeanette Jacknin
RetinA is the proven topical that really does help reduce wrinkling. But there are many natural anti...
How can I make my skin stop sagging?
Movement is key to keeping muscles in shape and preventing skin from sagging. Learn some moves to fi...
Anti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might Work
Anti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might WorkAnti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might WorkAnti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might WorkAnti-Aging Vitamins: What Works, What Might Work
Find out what antiaging creams, lotions and serums really work. Wrinkles, fine lines, brown splotches, red spider veins, rough texture, dull color, d...