What is the health concern with using anti-wrinkle creams?

Magic potions that purport to eliminate wrinkles actually often damage the skin to produce a wrinkle-free effect. Engineered to penetrate deep into your skin where the blood vessels are, the newer creams actually are better absorbed by your body, which means they have a greater potential to cause problems.

In order to eliminate the appearance of wrinkles, they plump up the skin by inflaming it with products that are irritating to the skin and break down collagen, encouraging more wrinkles down the road. The same goes for fragrances as harmless-sounding as lavender, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and peppermint.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Anti-Aging Skin Care

What nutrients prevent wrinkles?
Some studies suggest that specific nutrients may help prevent wrinkles. For instance, in one 200...
How can I look five years younger?
John La PumaJohn La Puma
The easiest way to look five years younger is from the inside out.  Our Chef Clinic experience has s...
How can I look younger?
As we age, the skin loses firmness and vitality. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Audrey Kunin give vie...
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?