What are the risks of taking magnesium sulfate?

Magnesium sulfate poses a risk of an allergic reaction or possible overdose. If you experience such symptoms of an allergic reaction as hives or breathing problems, stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an overdose include low blood pressure, a decreased heart rate, lethargy, flushing, and extreme fatigue. An overdose of magnesium sulfate is a medical emergency and can lead to respiratory depression or death. This drug also poses a risk to people with a severe irregular heartbeat. In addition, pregnant mothers who are expected to deliver their baby within the next two hours should not take magnesium sulfate.

Continue Learning about Anti-Inflammatory

What is a topical steroid cream?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
A topical steroid cream is a type of medicine that a doctor may prescribe for treating certain skin ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.