What are the symptoms of anthrax infection?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Symptoms of anthrax vary, depending on how the illness was contracted. If anthrax bacteria entered through a cut, then a lump on the skin similar to an insect bite is the main symptom. The lump will become a sore characterized by a blackened center. This is known as cutaneous anthrax.

Inhalation anthrax has symptoms similar to a cold or flu. A person with inhalation anthrax may experience a sore throat, and fever.

Intestinal anthrax, which is contracted from eating infected meat, may result in stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, and vomiting.

Continue Learning about Anthrax

What causes anthrax?
Coming into contact with infected livestock usually causes humans to contract anthrax. The Bacillus ...
Is anthrax serious?
Anthrax is a serious illness. Complications from the disease can lead to inflammation in the areas s...
Should I talk to my doctor about my anthrax symptoms?
You should definitely talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms that may be an indication...
What are the nerve toxins sarin and anthrax?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The nerve toxins anthrax and sarin inhibit the breakdown of acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme that is ...