Is there a cure for anthrax?

There is no cure for anthrax that works in every case, but taking antibiotics usually helps. Your doctor may prescribe doxycycline or ciprofloxacin.

Remember also that steps can be taken to help prevent the disease. Since anthrax is usually spread by contact with infected animals (though rarely in the United States), efforts should be made to avoid exposure to infected animals, and animal products. Also, avoid eating undercooked meat, as this could be a source for contracting anthrax.

People in high-risk professions, such as people handling animals or animal products and military personnel, might consider getting the anthrax vaccine to help prevent the disease.

Continue Learning about Anthrax

What do I need to know about caring for someone with anthrax?
When caring for someone with anthrax, remember to offer both emotional and physical support. Anthrax...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose anthrax?
Prepare for your appointment by making a note of all your symptoms, and any medications that you are...
Does anthrax affect children differently than adults?
The effects of anthrax are the same for children and adults. However, the affects of the treatment f...
How do other illnesses affect anthrax?
Anthrax is a serious illness that can cause many complications in the body. People must talk with a ...