Why would my doctor prescribe calcium carbonate?

A doctor may prescribe calcium carbonate (Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Tums) as a dietary supplement if you aren't getting enough calcium in your diet. Calcium is important for the body to function, especially for your bones, nervous system, muscles and heart.

Calcium carbonate is also available over the counter as an antacid to treat heartburn, acid indigestion and general stomach problems.

Continue Learning about Antacid

What kind of antacid should I take for indigestion?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
An over-the-counter antacid like TUMS works fine for indigestion. There are fancier and more exp...
What should I know before taking antacids?
Before taking antacids you should know that antacids decrease the acidity of the acids in your stoma...
Do antacids interact with other medications?
Certain medications may cause complications when taken with antacids or acid reducers, particula...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking antacids?
If you are planning to take antacids, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...