What medications make up Helidac Therapy?

Helidac Therapy, a combination of drugs used to treat peptic ulcers, consists of three different types of pills taken together for a 14-day period. Each dose includes two chewable tablets of bismuth subsalicylate (the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol, which has antimicrobial properties), one tablet of the antibiotic metronidazole and one capsule of the antibiotic tetracycline.

Helidac Therapy is in a class of medications known as antibacterial agents. It is used to kill the bacteria Helicobacter pylori, which causes peptic ulcers in the stomach and small intestine.

Continue Learning about Antacid

Should I take an antacid with calcium?
Not so fast. As we age, we tend to produce less stomach acid. To be absorbed, calcium requires vitam...
When should I take antacids?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Over-the-counter antacids are still the fastest way to speed relief for indigestion, and a quick...
Who should not take antacids?
Certain medical conditions and medications may cause complications with your dose of antacids or...
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?
How Do Antacids Relieve Heartburn?